Is it time to initiate the next release project?

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 23:56:24 UTC 2007

Is it time to initiate the next release project?

***
>  Quality Fonts in Squeak"
>  stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
>  Tue May 1 20:36:14 UTC 2007 wrote:
>
>  are you planning to produce a package that can be
>  loaded in 3.9 or 3.10?
>
>  Stef

***

Which was a perfectly good question to ask Juan.

Regardless of Juan's response a few other questions
need to be asked.

1) Would this addition be appropriate within the
current scope of 3dot10's mission?

2) Is the board ready to look beyond the 3dot10
release project and initiate the 3dot11 project?

Regardless of the answer to 1. there will be other
tantalizing improvements and enhancements proposed now
that will only be appropriate for the next release
cycle. How are those to be handled?

It seems to me we are cutting ourselves off at the
knees by looking no farther than the current release
project. It puts unfair forces on the project to
increase its scope. We will burn out our self funded
volunteers.

To have things happen, resources must be found and
allocated. And the project beyond 3dot10 deserves to
have some consideration and planning starting NOW. And
we need to board to give its offical consederation to
the next step in the journey. (Because that step will
need the board's blessing.)

Thank you for your consideration of these matters.