[ANN] Kernel Image - independent MinimalMorphic and better granularity

Noury Bouraqadi bouraqadi at ensm-douai.fr
Wed May 2 07:58:56 UTC 2007

Hi Pavel,

Very good job!

I mainly used MinimalMorphic and the following micro-report is about
it. I didn't any benchmarks (did you?) but it seems really fast which
is great. But, the image file size difference compared to
KernelImageMC is just too much (MinimalImage 2 times larger!). Do you
plan to shrink minimal morphic further ?

Three bugs in MinimalImage:

-Exceptions don't understand defaultAction while this message is sent
(at least) in UndefinedObject>>handleSignal:

-When entering or leaving a Morphic, I got an exception in
LanguageEnvironment>>isFontAvailabe because TextStyle defaultFont
don't understand fontArray.

-I tried to enter into an MVC project but failed. Squeak draws the
MVC, but then I get an error in Project>>isTopProject and a restore
display shows the root project. The parentProject IV of the MVC
project is set to nil instead of refering to a Project.

BTW, the size difference between KernelImageMC and
Noury
Le 29 avr. 07 à 09:53, Pavel Krivanek a écrit :

> Plase try this MinimalMorphic image:
> http://comtalk.net/public/pub/KernelImage/MinimalMorphic.20070429.zip
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pavel
>
> On 4/29/07, Pavel Krivanek <squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz> wrote:
>> Hi Ralph,
>>
>> even on the Linux VM some problems with display refreshing are
>> present
>> but aren't so deadly as in case of Mac VM. I'll try to look at it.
>> Has
>> someone any advice?
>>
>> -- Pavel
>>
>> On 4/28/07, Ralph Johnson <johnson at cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>> > I tried all four images on my Mac, with varying results.  The
>> VMs that
>> > I tried were 3.8.14Beta3U and 3.8.15Beta1U, and I got the same
>> results
>> > with both of them.
>> >
>> > I started up KernelImage and KernelImageMC and they both started up
>> > and gave me a promt.  I did not test them further.  I tried
>> > MinimalMorphic, and the image started up but never displayed
>> anything.
>> >  I couldn't do anything to make it display.  I tried EToys and if I
>> > make sure that the SqueakV39.sources file is *missing* then it
>> starts
>> > up with an error message that it can't find SqueakV39.sources, but
>> > then runs the image *without* refreshing the window.  I can open
>> > browser, etc and then move them around to get the entire window
>> > painted, but until I do that, it is just black.  However, if I
>> leave
>> > the SqueakV39.sources file in the directory, it behaves like the
>> > MinimalMorphic image, i.e. it never displays any window at all.
>> >
>> > Has anybody else with a Mac had better luck?  Which VM did you use?
>> >
>> > -Ralph

Noury
Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Responsable de l'option I.S.I.C.
ARMINES - Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. I.A.
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org