Any reason for assigning block parameter in inject:into:

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed May 2 10:58:56 UTC 2007

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 09:03:43AM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> A similar issue pertains for block arguments but we have the added
> complication that even after ELEVEN YEARS we still don't have proper
> closures in the default system and so the compiler can't really get
> it's act together to work out that block args (and indeed block
> temps) need to be treated appropriately.

Can someone give me a pointer to a brief explanation of why
closures were a hard problem for the original Squeak compiler?
I know there is some limitation of the original implementation,
and I know that this has been explained many times before,
but I can't seem to find a simple explanation of the original
problem. No debates please, I'm just curious about the reason
for the original limitation.

Thanks a lot,

Dave