[ANN] Nile: a trait-based stream library

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Wed May 2 13:42:43 UTC 2007

Hi Damien,

> Do you have some clients which will be worth implementing with the
> traits Nile provides? Please tell me.

I had a look at your implementation and it really looks nice. I have
some feature requests ;-)

- Right now the only available stream classes work on in-memory
collections. I would like to be able to use them on Files and Sockets
as well.

- The current Squeak Stream implementation lacks the possibility (and
it is difficult to do so in a clean way) to wrap streams with other
streams. What I would like to be able to do wrappers that encode,
decode (URL, HTML, BASE64, Cryptography, ...), filter, select,
collect, parse streams in different ways.  See [1] for some examples.
The wrapping could also be used to provide synchronization on shared
streams.

- #upTo: is cool. For most purposes this is however too basic. I need
many different efficient and reliable variations of that. It should be
possible to read up to ...
	- the first sub-collection of elements
	- the first place a block predicate is satisfied
	- the first place a regular expression matches
	- the first place a of a set of the above conditions matches
	- etc.

All that looks like a lot of work, however I think your framework
could handle that in a very clean way. Just some ideas ;-)

Cheers,
Lukas

[1] http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/PatternStories/FunWithStreams

--