[ANN] FreeType Plus release -- Can't get to work on Win2k

Andrew Tween amtween at hotmail.com
Wed May 2 17:11:01 UTC 2007

Hi Andreas,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de>
To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 5:40 PM
Subject: Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release -- Can't get to work on Win2k

> Andrew Tween wrote:
> > Make sure that you are using the 3.9.2 Windows VM.
> > (to check this, click on the Mouse icon at the top left to bing up the
system
> > menu. Then choose VM Preferences>>Display Version Information)
>
> Why does running a different version completely lock up? This really
> shouldn't happen. It's bad for our (collective) image if people download
> cool stuff like this and end up with dead system. Can you elaborate on
> what the problem is?

This is a guess...

I think that the external BitBltPlugin won't load into an old VM due to the
version number checks that prevent loading of a plugin with a (major?) version
greater than the VM's (major?) version.
But having failed to load it, the VM doesn't then use its internal BitBltPlugin,
and keeps trying to load the incompatible, external one instead. Hence a blank
screen.

I think I should alter the installer to check the current VM version before
copying the BitBltPlugin into the executable dir.
The best check I can come up with (for Windows) is ...

    SmalltalkImage current vmVersion ~= 'Squeak3.7 of ''4 September 2004''
[latest update: #5989]'

Is there a better check that would also work for custom built VMs?
Cheers,
Andy