[ANN] FreeType Plus release -- Can't get to work on Win2k

Andrew Tween amtween at hotmail.com
Wed May 2 17:33:01 UTC 2007

Hi Andreas,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de>
To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 6:26 PM
Subject: Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release -- Can't get to work on Win2k

> Andrew Tween wrote:
> > I think that the external BitBltPlugin won't load into an old VM due to the
> > version number checks that prevent loading of a plugin with a (major?)
version
> > greater than the VM's (major?) version.
> > But having failed to load it, the VM doesn't then use its internal
BitBltPlugin,
> > and keeps trying to load the incompatible, external one instead. Hence a
blank
> > screen.
>
> Hm ... yes that's entirely possible. It would happen if you implicitly
> use the latest proxy version (which has been bumped a couple of times).
> You could try to compile with an older version instead (just #define
> VM_PROXY_MINOR to be the least version with which it compiles).
>
> > I think I should alter the installer to check the current VM version before
> > copying the BitBltPlugin into the executable dir.
> > The best check I can come up with (for Windows) is ...
> >
> >     SmalltalkImage current vmVersion ~= 'Squeak3.7 of ''4 September 2004''
> > [latest update: #5989]'
> >
> > Is there a better check that would also work for custom built VMs?
>
> No, unfortunately there isn't. We should add that information, too.

I think I can get around this by simply
    1. copying in the plugin,
    2. unload and reload the BitBltPlugin module
    3. check that the plugin has loaded ok (I already have a test for the
presence of the new combination rule 41)
    4. if it hasn't loaded, then delete the BitBltPlugin.dll file, and display a
message to the user.
I don't overwrite any existing external BitBltPlugin.dll file, so this should
work.

Cheers,
Andy