Monticello and branching

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Thu May 3 06:49:01 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 21:00 -0400, Chris Muller wrote:
> Filename hell with Monticello occurs when one developer copies a
> repository to another computer, creates two separate branches of
> functionality on both computers (the original and the copy).
> Monticello chooses the same filenames for the very different invidual
> packages, causing merging to be virtually impossible or, at least,
> very painful.

Ok, but copying a repository and edit it simultanously always conflicts.
My concern where based on the "branch" you can do with renaming the
file. I just recognized that there is only a package and this is stored
in a repository. It doesn't matter which filename those commits have
but Monticello Browser gives you separate view.

> If Monticello would include the UUID in the filename, that might solve it..

That would be a long filename ;)

Norbert