multilingual A-macron howto ?

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Thu May 3 18:18:41 UTC 2007

  Nicolas,

> I wonder how a A-macron (Character value: 256) or a-macron (Character
> value: 257) would display in Squeak.
>
> I have no extended latin font loaded in the image, but it seems to me
> that those characters would be interpreted as EndOfRun or CrossedX when
> i read the code in
> (Multi)CharacterScanner>>scanMultiCharactersFrom:to:in:rightX:stopConditions:kern:
>
> (encoding = 0 and: [ascii < stopConditions size and: [(stopConditions
> at: ascii + 1) ~~ nil]]) ifTrue: [^ stops at: ascii + 1].
>
> Am i wrong or is this a known problem?

  The stopCondition logic comes from some ancient time, and it simply
use a few values above 255 for internal purpose to indicate what to do
when "EndOfRun" or "CrossedX" happens.

  To display (Character value: 256) or a-macron (Character value:
257)...  I actually haven't made a font file for these range of
characters, but you should be able to load (for example) a TrueType
font with these glyphs.

-- Yoshiki