multi-language GUI / shells in Smalltalk

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu May 3 20:46:55 UTC 2007

On 3-May-07, at 1:34 PM, Ralph Boland wrote:

>      4)  SLang

> The reason for  4)  is to allow users to write code that they mean
> to be efficient.  My understanding is that SLang is  C like and gives
> similar performance.  Of course translating SLang methods to byte
> codes will slow it down but it should still be useful when
> performance matters.

Er, not quite. Slang is Smalltalk written in a rather ugly pidjin-C
style so that the CCodeGenerator and associated classes can digest
it. See http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/slang . It is already
'translated to byte codes' since it simply compiles normally and is
run normally when using the InterpreterSimulator.

tim
Strange OpCodes: XER: Exclusive ERror