Monticello and branching

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu May 3 22:50:05 UTC 2007

I think I understand you.  The *contents* of the files are where all
the meat of the package is, not in the filename itself.

This is true with one exception:  When merging, Monticello looks for
the ancestor of a package based on its ancestor's filename embedded in
the package, which is why the (very common) scenario I mentioned, the
same developer creating two branches off the same version in different
repositories, is a major pain.

I can understand why Monticello does this, it assumes the files are
never renamed.  But they sometimes need to be, as in the above
scenario.  Which is why I suggest that packages be named with their
UUID as one node of the filename; it would seem to alleviate the
problem completely.

> That would be a long filename ;)

But that's no problem though, right?  OS's today can handle 200+
character filenames..

 - Chris