Font rendering strategy

gilrandir at centrum.cz gilrandir at centrum.cz
Fri May 4 08:15:36 UTC 2007

I'm sorry, i was somehow talking to both of you...
Is there any possibility of adding unicode support for StrikeFonts?
The complication with international input (mapping or keyboard) was with Freetype (a bit slowish, but in other aspects almost perfect).
Viktor
> Od: juan at jvuletich.org
> Komu: gilrandir at centrum.cz
> Datum: 04.05.2007 03:25
> Předmět: Re: Font rendering strategy
>
>Hi Viktor,
>
>I believe StrikeFonts support only 8 bit ASCII. So, using DejaVu with
them doesn't have any advantage. And you can very easily import any font
you like.

>But I guess you really need Andy's work (FreeType). And with it, you can
load any font you have available.

>Cheers,
>Juan Vuletich
>
>gilrandir at centrum.cz escribió:
>> Hi, i'd like to appeal to all the font developers - if it's possible,
could you base your great work on the DejaVu font family? These are a
Bitstream Vera derivative, so the licensing should't be a problem, but
with a lot of completed (and some ongoing) work on non-latin1 charsets -
it might not seem like a big issue to you, but the complete
lack/brokenness of international support holds a lot of people from using
Squeak at all - and i must admit the font machinery in squeak is too
complex for me, so i'm one of them in the present time.
>> With the current FreeType fonts, Squeak is able to load the DejaVu
fontsets and display at least the Czech (Latin-2) charset correctly (but
the character mapping or input conversion on Win is somehow broken, so i
can input them only with a Czech keyboard hack active).
>> Thanks to your work it seems to me Squeak is approaching some general
usefullnes eventually :)
>> Viktor
>>  >   >> From: Juan Vuletich <juan <at> jvuletich.org>
>>> Subject: Re: Font rendering strategy
>>> Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.general
>>> Date: 2007-04-29 16:21:48 GMT (3 days, 20 hours and 50 minutes ago)
>>>
>>> That would be great. BTW, I'm working on a small set of fonts free of
>> any legal issues, based on Bitstream Vera, Komika and may be others, >>
after a suggestion by Diego. I'm pretty sure they could be part of the >>
official release without any legal concern. The Bitstream license >>
explicitly allows derived works.