EPRIDE Workshop --- Extensible Program Representations

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at tx.technion.ac.il
Sat May 5 00:03:40 UTC 2007

BTW, for us this work started out mining yet another of those many gems
in the Smalltalk way of doing things - the way the model for Smalltalk
code in the development environment is connected to the runtime
representation (so natural to everyone here, its hardly worth
mentioning, but rather rare in other worlds).

One thing that happened as Andrew and I were trying to add some smarts
to the tools, is we began to ask ourselves how the code analysis
algorithms should be split between the tools and the code model. On the
one hand, we can't put everything in the code model. On the other,
placing algorithms inside tools makes it harder to reuse them (ask
anyone working on alternate browsers). Turns out this gets more
complicated when the algorithms are pretty demanding in terms of run
time, and we think these are problems that we share with other
communities, and that probably none of us have a single complete answer
to, so we might learn interesting ideas from one another. So this
workshop might be interesting for anyone interested in code analysis,
development tools, and what's between them.

Daniel Vainsencher