Towards 3.9.1 . Away from What?

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sun May 6 23:58:41 UTC 2007

Towards 3.9.1 . Away from What?

Hi Simon, Hi Edgar

Thanks for your replies.

writes:

>  > I watch all of Keith's efforts with wonder and
some
>  > trepidation.
>  >
>  > He has very bold plans and when kept after (by
others)
>  > may do an reasonable job of coding.
>  >
>  > He is also off acting on his own on what he
thinks is
>  > needed.
>
>  >From the point of view of the dev list, it doesn't
>  seem to be completely
>  striking out on his own: the "towards 3.9.1" thread
>  seemed broadly
>  supportive. Edgar quite rightly put forward
questions
>  to do with future
>  developments in the same thread, but I didn't see
those
>  as negative, and
>  support his vision and reasons for raising the
>  questions.
>
>  > I see what he is doing as undermining the efforts
of
>  > the 3.10 team.  And I wonder why this is.
>
>  Do you mean you wonder why you see it this way, or
do
>  you mean you wonder
>  why it is undermining the 3.10 team?

The question is valid in both of the ways you read it.

His project will benifit the community if it succeeds
or educate Keith if it runs into problems.

The naming of the project 3.9.1 I see as undermining
the authority the community has put in the hands of
the board. It may be reasonable for Keith to
characterize his project in that way but it will IMO
lead to confusion.

I am disappointed in the board for leaving a vacuum
around an this issue. So I have brought it up here.

>  > He is appropriating the version number 3.9.1.
Which
>  > portrays an intention for his release to be a
>  > successor to 3.9 but close to it.
>  > [snip]
>  > Keith has the power to do what he will.  But
calling
>  > it 3.9.1 implies a blessing for his actions that
he
>  > has not formally asked for nor formally received.
Some
>  > controls should be put on what he calls it less
his
>  > efforts be taken (by those outside) as authorized
and
>  > encourgaged by the offical board.
>
>  This is a fair point. IMO if used "officially" the
>  3.9.1 name should indeed
>  be used for a release that is "offically blessed"
by
>  the community.
>
> <snip>
>
>  It has struck me for some time that Mantis and
posts to
>  the list together
>  contain a *lot* of useful fixes and suggestions
that
>  spend a long time
>  there, not being incorporated into a downloadable
>  image.

When I posted this email I made a concious decision to
just address the protocol issues in this subthread and
the practical issues in the other subthread.  (Towards
3.9.1 What's going on here?)

I ask those who respond to these threads to respect
that decision, keep that distinction, and reply to the
appropriate sub-thread.

Clear thinking will lead to clear solutions.

Yours in curiosity and service, --Jerome Peace (Bug Tracker)