Towards 3.9.1 . Away from What?

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Mon May 7 01:53:22 UTC 2007

Jerome,

Thanks for brining up this issue.  For me I considered this work as a
temporary place holder for issues that needed to be included in 3.10 but
that were already being loaded manually by developers.  Having this image
for me allows me to know what issues I can forget about since they will be
handled in 3.10.

The Cryptography team had a major issue with Monticello Configurations.  We
had to reconfigure our repository and drop the dependence on MCC because it
didn't work out of the box.  Had there been a process to address these
problems we would have been much better off.  Also notice that there is more
then one patch for MCC.  There is also a debate about certain fixes.  This
problem has lead to no fixes.  In my experience continuous integration can
really help to solve problems like this since the issue raised by the first
fix could have been address with additional functionally added instead of
arguing which method was correct (since both methods have their own merits,
naming each and including both as separate menu items is probably the
correct answer).

If 3.9.1 does not include any fixes that are not destined for 3.10 and if
those fixes are already being used and blessed by leading members of the
community then I think this process has a potential benefit to the
community.

As to the name this doesn't matter that much to me.  I agree with your
points about having a process that is not sanctioned by the board.  This is
less then optimal.  I do not see what Keith is doing as significantly
different from what Pavel is doing.  I would be ok if we called this the 3.9
plus image and said that it was not official as long as we understand that
no changes will be included that are not also included in 3.10 and that all
items that are included are minor bug fixes and are sanctioned by leading
developers (what ever that means in practice).  If we can not agree on those
two points then I don't see the benefit either and will wait for 3.10.

What ever we do I agree communication is the key to success.

Happy coding!

Ron Teitelbaum