Game design question...

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Mon May 7 21:03:28 UTC 2007

On 5/7/07, Blake <blake at kingdomrpg.com> wrote:
> Hey, gang:
>
>         I'm designing a game and have ended up with a structure like this:
>
> 1. The UI creates a command object.
> 2. The UI passes the command object to the game.
> 3. The game tells the command object to do its thing.
> 4. The command object invokes the appropriate method in the game.

This is probably overkill if you are making single person games.  But
if you are making multiplayer games then this is a very good design.
Each person is running an image that has a copy of the game in it.
When either one of them makes an action, the system sends a copy of
the command to the other image, and both images execute the command.
This is by the far the easiest way to make a turn-based, multiplayer
distributed game like most card games or chess or Risk or ...

-Ralph