Game design question...

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Mon May 7 21:06:11 UTC 2007

On Mon, 07 May 2007 13:19:17 -0700, karl <karl.ramberg at comhem.se> wrote:

> I barely understand most stuff in those old machines, I can get a little
> glimpse of what goes on but I don't really understand. More advanced
> machines I'm just happy as long as they work, the complexities
> underneath the hood is just too much for mere a mortal :-)

I think building a virtual CPU would be instructive for all programmers.
<s>

> That is true. What they also got 'right' in a way was that you had less
> distractions from computing. No widows or menus or anything just a
> blinking cursor and a manual. It was less daunting than starting to
> learn to program a computer now, in many ways. But much worse from a
> productivity perspective.

Another thing I'd kill for is a text-mode Squeak. Cross-platform, able to
deal with the screen like a 80x25 (or 80x50, or whatever) character grid.
Not enough hours in the day...

> There are other browsers out there that you could try, StarBrowser and
> whisker comes to mind. I often miss a tabbed browser so I could keep the
> number of windows down.

Yeah, I need to look around. But something like all the methods for an
object in one window, you could open a tab for a new class...

> Cool, I have never thought about it like that. I looked around a little
> and downloaded Eddie Cottongims Wargame again. I think it can be a nice
> starting point.

As I said, a whole 'nother story right there. The nature and history and
programming of games....