Extending OB metagraphs

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Mon May 7 21:50:14 UTC 2007

On May 5, 2007, at 3:15 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> Firstly, I think OB needs a graph entity This graph would let methods
> access any node using its name with just a simple call
> (OBGraph>>getNodeNamed:). It should be possible to remove edges too I
> think.
>
> Then, OB has to make this variable directly accessible to all class
> side methods. The graph might be stored in a class variable.
>
> When a new browser is created, all methods whose name starts with
> #buildGraph are executed. Those methods have access to the graph and
> to all its nodes. So, I think they can do whatever they want with the
> graph.
>
> Isn't that enough to have a dynamic graph?

I suppose it's better than what we have now, but only a little, I
think. The main problem would be one of ordering and composition. If
you're doing something like adding dynamic protocols to the graph,
the code to do that has to run after the main graph has been built,
and before  code that does other things to existing edges and nodes.
There would have to be a fairly complex, protocol for orchestrating
all of that, and even then, I think it would be brittle.

Colin