Extending OB metagraphs

David Röthlisberger squeak at c3com.ch
Tue May 8 12:39:37 UTC 2007

Hi Colin,

> Still OB could stand to be a lot more flexible, and I'm sure it would
> benefit from being stretched to accommodate your "special" browsers.

yes, this is also my impression.

> One thing that will help is the recent shift to using OBBuilder
> subclasses to create visual elements of the UI. Right now it uses a
> fairly simple layout scheme, but that could be extended to handle more
> complex layouts.

ok, I will have a deeper look at that to see what is possible, thanks!

> I'm currently
> involved in a rather hairy refactoring of the very core of OB, to reduce
> the coupling between OBColumn and it's collaborators, and this will
> allow columns to be composed differently from the current left-to-right
> convention.

ah, these are very good news, I'm really looking forward to that!

> Tell me, are you using the latest versions of OB from
> http://source.wiresong.ca?

Yes, I started my work with version cwp.317 of OmniBrowser. I'm now trying to merge
with the latest version of OB, but this is a bit of work... ;)

> Once
> the core refactorings are finished, I'll be taking stock of what needs
> to be done for a 2.0 release, so the "latest and greatest" OB browsers
> can be put into wider use.

Excellent, I appreciate!

Kind regards,
David