Smoothing Squeak's usability barriers

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue May 15 23:39:24 UTC 2007

I, too, would like to present Squeak in a friendly and constructive
way, using this great multimedia-authoring software with a built-in
dynamic language, graphics, software libraries, and even great fonts
and a collaborative 3D world.  What better than for this system,
written in itself, to present and describe itself?

All the other mediums serve useful purposes, but "instruction
documents" lead newbies into the environment, dangling over the sheer
breadth and depth of the knowledge chasm, not knowing even what
questions to ask.

In-world, high-bandwidth, friendly, constructive material can assist
digesting this information more quickly than external documents.  A
blend of non-interactive (like EventRecorder movies with audio), to
"interactive" (providing input, selecting options), to full
"assisted-construction" for small projects.

Also, this all has to be "plug 'n' play".  A lot of people won't do
"hard fun" up front, we need to be a path of least resistance, or at
least equal.  I hope a Naiad web link can serve as a single-click
"start button" for easily entering the _friendly_ high-bandwidth
world.