[Ann] Nile 0.8.0 available

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Fri May 18 13:29:26 UTC 2007

>From: "Damien Cassou" <damien.cassou at gmail.com>
>To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers
>list"<squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
>Subject: Re: [Ann] Nile 0.8.0 available
>Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 14:09:49 +0200
>
>2007/5/18, J J <azreal1977 at hotmail.com>:
>> >What we are doing with Nile is more like a complete reimplementation
>> >trying to keep the same API when it makes sense.
>>
>>I hope you are planning to completely implement the ANSI standard, any
>>extra
>>methods that Smalltalkers expect to find with streams.  Otherwise it can't
>>ever replace the base implementation, which should be the long term goal
>>imo.
>
>ANSI is already implemented.  Everything is ready to implement all
>squeak methods. I've already started. If you want to help, the
>repository is open, documentation is present, everything is tested.
>Feel free :-)
>
>Bye
>
>--
>Damien Cassou

Ok, if I get a chance I may. :)  The "that make sense" made me wonder if
that meant a big part of the API wouldn't be included, so I just wanted to
make sure. :)

I haven't had a chance to check out your work yet, but I think it's great
that you're doing it.  Type classes in Haskell (the closest thing I have
experience with that is like Squeak's traits :) are awesome, and I have
hopes that Squeak traits can be shown to be just as useful/powerful at
filling a big gap.