Linux and ttyUSB0

subbukk subbukk at gmail.com
Sun May 20 14:32:41 UTC 2007

On Sunday 20 May 2007 5:33 am, Jon Hylands wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> For work I've done previously on Squeak on the gumstix, I've used standard
> serial ports, which map to ttyS0, ttyS1, ttyS2, etc, which correspond to
> port 0, 1, and 2 when I open the Serial Port in Squeak. However, I have no
> idea which port number ttyUSB0 corresponds to...
SerialPort passes a portnumber which gets mapped to /dev/ttyS<n> filename. So
the /dev/ttyUSB<n> cannot be accessed through port numbers :-(. ttyS0 and
ttyUSB0 are handled by different drivers and I am not sure if they are
equivalent at file i/o level.

You could try a trick on the gumstix:
rm /dev/ttyS4 && ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/ttyS4

and then try to access it as port 4. If /dev/ttyS? is populated automatically
on startup, then you will have to put this command immediately after the
startup code.

Hope it works .. Subbu