[Webteam] Squeak History

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Mon May 21 12:57:54 UTC 2007

Hi --

Well, that was the general idea -- our research community back then
(ARPA/ONR/PARC) was concerned with both scaling and the transition
from "making" to "growing". The Internet is another research result
from that community, and it and the kind of objects that I tried to
characterize were both formed at the same time in the same context --
both were "biological" on purpose (my background was in Molecular
Biology as well as Math).

By the way, one of the inspirations for this notion of "living
organism" came from "BBN Lisp 1.85", (Bobrow, Deutsch, Teitelmann, et
al.) which later became Interlisp. Smalltalk was already going by
then and there was quite a lot of crossfertilization. Simply put, you
should use the strongest thing you have to make stronger things, and
this means that the programming system should participate strongly in
its own improvement.

However, Dan Ingalls gets the main credit for actually making this stuff work.

Going back earlier in the 60s we find Peter Deutsch's PDP-1 Lisp
which had quite an influence on me (and the Flex machine language and
system I was trying to make in grad school). This was what got me
thinking that an operating system is just a stupid programming system
and the former should be replaced by a smart programming system made
from objects. As Dan Ingalls used to say: "An operating system is
just the stuff left out of the programming language -- if you don't
leave it out, then you don't need the OS".

(But what do you think Hofstadter and Penrose would contribute here
40 years after the fact?)

Cheers,

Alan