[Webteam] Squeak History

subbukk subbukk at gmail.com
Mon May 21 15:31:47 UTC 2007

On Monday 21 May 2007 6:27 pm, Alan Kay wrote:
> .. This was what got me
> thinking that an operating system is just a stupid programming system
I concur. The overuse (and abuse) of "system" started in the sixties, I
believe. I think the term it replaced, 'control program', was more accurate
about what it was really meant for - controlling devices. Programming in the
sense of digital expression of mathematics is so different.

> (But what do you think Hofstadter and Penrose would contribute here
> 40 years after the fact?)
If Squeak continues to grow, evolve, mutate, replicate and communicate like an
organism, say over the next one hundred years,  "it" would be considered
intelligent, Would it also also have a 'self'? Both Penrose (inEmperor's New
Mind, Shadow of the Mind) and Hofstadter (Selfish Genes in Godel Escher ...,
Mind's I) had exposited on such themes. I just wondered how they would have
reacted to something like Squeak/Croquet.  Between the extremes of self as a
special entity (consciousness) and as a physical entity (Minsky's "computers
made of meat"), is there an intermediate entity of living, changing symbols
and patterns of pure bits? Is there a third entity in the mind-body problem?

But then, the discussion could go way off topic :-),
Subbu