Dynabook hw cost

Brad Fuller brad at bradfuller.com
Tue May 22 06:12:50 UTC 2007

Any HW hackers here? Has anyone computed what a Dynabook would cost?

First, I'm interested in understanding why true Dynabook hardware has
not been available. Is it just too costly? I think we can trace the
reasons why the software side of a Dynabook has not been fulfilled
(although, I trust that Viewpoints NSF grant will close this gap). I
thought that something more powerful and a bit bigger than the Nokia
N800 but smaller than today's typical small notebook would be available
by now. But I can't find one. I gotta believe that companies like
Toshiba have investigated this thoroughly. And, if so, they've come to
the conclusion that there is no business. Or if not, maybe by their
bureaucratic blindness they have totally missed this market.

Second, I'd like to understand what the cost of a Dynabook would
actually be in today's dollars.

I think a true Dynabook is long over due. Today's hardware doesn't
suffice. Either it's too underpowered, or too bloated. Too small, or too
heavy. (and all too expensive!)

Any thoughts about the specs of the Dynabook and why we are still
waiting? (hmm... is the XO is close?... wonder if parts will be available)

(I still have my Sony magic cap. It was a bit too underpowered and bit
too thick. and alas, no smalltalk)

--
brad fuller