Dynabook hw cost

subbukk subbukk at gmail.com
Tue May 22 10:04:58 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 22 May 2007 11:42 am, Brad Fuller wrote:
> Any thoughts about the specs of the Dynabook and why we are still
> waiting? (hmm... is the XO is close?... wonder if parts will be available)
AFAIK, the driving factors for personal computing has always been battery
life, weight, networking and tight integration between hardware and operating
software (i.e. no superfluous components) in that order. It is frustrating to
see computing devices sold by megahertz, multi-core, RAM/HDD capacity, camera
megapixels and so on.

I think the word book in the name biases us to think of a screen built into
the machine. If we drop this assumption, then a Dynabook could just be a
small computer embedded in a foldable panel that opens out to a 84-key
keyboard and a small 2" preview OLED screen at the top and a resistive
touchpad at the bottom. A micro-projector would cast a screen upto 17". USB
slots along the edges take in flash memory cards for user-data. When a card
is plugged in, the machine starts up automatically and personalizes itself
based on files on card. When the card is ejected, the system shuts down.

Dreaming :-) .. Subbu