Wouldn't it be better for the board to have its own mailing list?

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Sun May 27 09:34:15 UTC 2007

Hi Jerome--

> The .../article/64.html URL has all of 3 posts to it;
> spanning less than a month in time and that month was
> October 2006. This indicates something.
>
> I don't need know exactly what is wrong. Something IS
> wrong. Its not a place I would care to put something
> that needs to be attended to.

     That's just silly. All it means is that people haven't been posting
agenda items there. I read that page before every board meeting, and
I've mentioned it here on squeak-dev repeatedly.

> If the board needs a private list for private
> discussion, it also needs a public list for
> discussions with the public. A place for the public to
> post adgenda requests...

     A mailing list would be horrible for that. A editable persistent
site is the right thing.

> ...And public discussions of adgenda topics and other board related
> topics.  You could do it on squeak-dev but as you say its a
> haystack.

     I don't think a board mailing list would be any better. And if you
think it's a haystack, just use a threaded reader. I recommend Mozilla
Thunderbird's newsreader connected to
news://news.gmane.org/comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.general. Note this is
not an invitation to have an endless discussion about mail and news
readers (if one ensues, I will simply kill the resulting thread with my
threaded reader :).

> I look forward to seeing how you and the board resolve
> this.

     Ken's not on the board, by the way (but I'm thankful for his
suggestions).

     thanks,

-C
(board member)