Universes/SqueakMap Separation? (was Re: Fun with Symbol)

Avi Bryant avi at dabbledb.com
Mon May 28 19:32:06 UTC 2007

On 5/28/07, Ken Causey <ken at kencausey.com> wrote:

> It almost sounds like you
> are saying that package owners are reluctant to issue releases and you
> have to do it for them.  Have I misunderstood?

Whether or not that's what Lex was saying, I think it's a reasonable
position.  Maintainers have very different ideas about what code is
releasable and how to release it.  One person's alpha is another
person's release candidate, and others ignore releases altogether and
just expect everyone to pull down the latest commit from SqueakSource.
 A given editor, on the other hand, can apply a consistent set of
criteria across all of the packages in the catalog.  A user who isn't
intimately familiar with the culture of every package they use can
instead just choose a catalog with an editor they trust.

Avi