[ANN] ICal occurrence API

Alan Lovejoy squeak-dev.sourcery at forum-mail.net
Mon May 28 19:54:48 UTC 2007

<JJ (Jason)>Interesting, I had no idea you were doing this.  And thanks for
stealing my thunder! :)  After you publish it, someone will have to compare
the different versions (speed, memory, ease of use, etc).</JJ (Jason)>

I fully intend to have a look at your code--after I've completed my
implementation.  However, I don't plan on implementing a parser for
iCal--the only goal is to be able to specify/represent (and fully and
correctly implement) the iCal rule model.  Actually, the Chronos recurrence
rule model goes beyond what can be specified using the iCal rule
model/notation.  Using an algebra enables support for logical negation and
disjunction, among other things (consider what Chalten does with its
TimeLineFilter, for example.)

I'm also working on full support for business date arithmetic. I intend to
meet or exceed the capabilities offered by jFin
(http://jfin.org/date_adjustment) or ObjectLab
(http://objectlabkit.sourceforge.net/), and to use the data provided by
FinancialCalendar.com (http://financialcalendar.com/).

As for "thunder stealing," that goes with the territory when two or more
projects are in the same functional domain.  My goal is to implement the
world's best date/time library in any language--and I've been working hard
at it since October 2004.  I feel I've already achieved parity with anything
else out there.  Now it's time to go to the next level.

But, since my main motivation for making Chronos the best date/time library
in the world is to help promote Smalltalk, I actually welcome any and all
contributions by others to that goal.  And based on the description, your
iCal engine certainly seems to be a worthy contribution.

Working together, we can leave Smalltalk's competition in the dust.  And
inspire those working on Smalltalk projects in domains other than
dates/times to do the same.

Go Smalltalk!

--Alan