Balloon 3D

Joshua Gargus schwa at fastmail.us
Tue May 29 04:27:36 UTC 2007

On May 28, 2007, at 11:08 AM, Brad Fuller wrote:

> Bert's comment:
> "Because OpenGL support on Windows is consistently inferior to
> Direct3D
> support on consumer-level hardware."
> brings up the question "how much inferior?" So much that it's a
> no-brainer? Or will OpenGL get there. (I don't know the answer - I
> didn't know that there was any difference between the different
> platform
> implementations.)

It's not that OpenGL is inferior to Direct3D per se (in fact, it not
uncommon for the most advanced GPU features to be exposed via OpenGL
extensions before they are supported by Direct3D).  The problem is
that Direct X comes installed by default on every Windows machine,
whereas Microsoft's default OpenGL implementation is a joke; for
proper OpenGL support, you need to download the latest drivers from
from the vendors site (for laptops, you sometimes have to get
unofficial drivers from enthusiast sites).  While this is not a big
hurdle for hardcore gamers, it is for the casual computer user.

Josh