Universes/SqueakMap Separation? (was Re: Fun with Symbol)

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Tue May 29 06:32:15 UTC 2007

"Avi Bryant" <avi at dabbledb.com> writes:
> On 5/28/07, Ken Causey <ken at kencausey.com> wrote:
> > It almost sounds like you
> > are saying that package owners are reluctant to issue releases and you
> > have to do it for them.  Have I misunderstood?
>
> Whether or not that's what Lex was saying, I think it's a reasonable
> position.  Maintainers have very different ideas about what code is
> releasable and how to release it.  One person's alpha is another
> person's release candidate, and others ignore releases altogether and
> just expect everyone to pull down the latest commit from SqueakSource.
>  A given editor, on the other hand, can apply a consistent set of
> criteria across all of the packages in the catalog.

That's where I am coming from.  It is a combined effort, much like
editing a book that has twenty contributors.  The contributors provide
the raw material, while the editor keeps a view of the overall
combination.  An editor can provide some consistency.

For Squeak packages, the precise roles still need to be felt out.
There's definitely a place for an editor, though, given all the bit
rotting we observe in practice.

Not to overstate matters.  It's still best of all when the primary
contributors help out more.  It is simply not a complete solution.

Lex