Alternative Thread Schedulers

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Wed May 30 21:45:49 UTC 2007

>From: Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>Subject: Re: Alternative Thread Schedulers
>Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 23:41:33 -0700
>
>Tweak contains an example for this. It's ScriptScheduler is a custom
>scheduler which guarantees that each script (process) under its control is
>scheduled with the semantics that I defined for it (check out the Croquet
>SDK to see it in action).

Ok, I will go check that out then.

>I'd think because of I/O speed. It would be trivial to fire off a couple
>thousand processes in Squeak (I have done that). However, webservers are
>often not limited by how quickly they switch between processes but rather
>how effectively they can pump I/O (files) to the network (which, if done
>right, doesn't require any user-level code in the middle at all).

Yea, I realize the majority of the time isn't spend scheduling, but I do
think such an approach could make the system feel more snappy in cases
without the user having to do anything extra.

As far as the IO, maybe we could add a primitive for that system call
lighttp (the fastest page serving web server on the planet afaik) uses to
write files directly to the network.

>Yes, prioritizing the quick requests is certainly a good idea for something
>like a web-server. Though, a simpler version would be to run a high
>priority process that simply yields every 50msecs or so to shuffle the
>worker processes a little. It wouldn't be quite as effective as your event
>scheduler but -having done a custom scheduler- it is *infinitely* easier to
>implement ;-)
>
>Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Well I appreciate the info.  If I do this it would be an experiment type
thing for some ideas I have, so it's ok if it's hard to do and just gets
thrown away after I do my tests.  Though the harder it is to do the further
down the "todo list" it goes. :)