SqueakMap crashes in 3.10 beta.7158

Brian Brown rbb at techgame.net
Thu Nov 1 06:02:08 UTC 2007

On Oct 31, 2007, at 7:51 PM, Chris Muller wrote:

> SqueakMap supports SAR files, which can do *anything*.  Therefore it,
> too, supports dependencies.
>
> To me, the process of building an image is something that always needs
> to be done with care.  A tool that tries to pick "the most recent
> versions" of prerequisite packages, to me, is "gunslinger" style of
> building an image.
>
> What exactly does "guaranteed to work together" mean?  This is a
> notion I never really followed about Universes.  Does it simply mean
> what SqueaMap already tells us?  That neither of the packages does any
> modifications to the base image?  "Work" has different means for
> different people depending on the needs.  If loading one package
> causes a slow-down in the performance of the other that matters to me,
> how can it be said "guaranteed to work?"

Hi Chris - I think you are missing one of the main points of the
Universe model. Universes do not pick the "most recent version of
anything. A particular universe has pointers to specific code
packages, i.e. specific mcz files which represent one and only one
version of that piece of code. There is nothing dynamic about it, so
it is really like a freebsd port or debian package - you have to have
specific version of the dependencies that port or package needs, not
just the "latest".

"Guaranteed to work together" means that the author of the Universe
has ostensibly tested that the specific package versions in that
Universe do in fact work together. Since it is NOT grabbing "the
latest code", that is a claim a Universe can make.

Of course, nothing prevents someone from creating a Universe and
putting incompatible packages in it and not testing it; the purpose,
however, is define a cohesive set of code that does work together.

I think the fact that most Universes published have a great deal of
code in them is a bit misleading as to the purpose of Universes - for
example, if I have a seaside web app that I want to deploy, building a
universe that contains the specific version of Kom, Seaside,
Scriptaculous, Magritte, etc. that is a working, stable application
makes great sense. Someone can load that Universe and expect it to work.

Later I can create a newer version of Universe with newer packages in
it - someone can load the new one or the old one, it's there choice.