SqueakMap crashes in 3.10 beta.7158

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Nov 1 11:30:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 11:26:27PM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:
> Brian Brown wrote:
> >Hi Chris - I think you are missing one of the main points of the
> >Universe model. Universes do not pick the "most recent version of
> >anything. A particular universe has pointers to specific code packages,
> >i.e. specific mcz files which represent one and only one version of that
> >piece of code. There is nothing dynamic about it, so it is really like a
> >freebsd port or debian package - you have to have specific version of
> >the dependencies that port or package needs, not just the "latest".
>
> That is *definitely* not true. The code in
> UUniverseBrowser>>allPackagesNeededToInstall:orIfImpossible: explicitly
> uses the *latest* version of a package; the basic loop goes like this:

Certainly, but this refers to the handling of multiple versions of a
package within the universe (which should generally be discouraged
BTW). On the other hand, if you have versions 2 and 3 of FooPackage in
your universe, and next year someone adds versions 4, 5, and 6 of FooPackage
to SqueakMap, your universe will still point at version 3. This is
probably exactly what you want, particularly if the new and improved
FooPackage V6.0 has been updated to use some annoying new feature that
breaks your image and that you didn't want in the first place ;)

Dave