SqueakMap crashes in 3.10 beta.7158

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 18:05:43 UTC 2007

On 10/31/07, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> For me, Universes are useless. Since I don't run the latest Squeak
> versions I always go to SM when I need to find a particular package.
> Since it has a web interface I (or Google) can find things there. Since
> it lists the versions for which a package is available I can choose one
> that is closest to what I need for porting. Universes are no replacement
> for this.

True, SM is certainly the best option for older images.  Universes
have the version of the package as well, not that does you any good.
:)

> You must be new here ;-)

I've only got around 10 years in the field, but I've never fully
understood this emotional part. :)

>If people were less attached to their tools,
> then Universes would have been built *on top of* SM so that it actually
> increases the value of SM as a global repository of "all things squeak"
> instead of having isolated, inaccessible repositories that decrease the
> value of SM.

Good point, I haven't heard/read why it was chosen to be a separate
thing, but I would guess it was the usual:  it seemed easier to make
something from scratch then add functionality to an existing system.