SqueakMap crashes in 3.10 beta.7158

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Nov 1 18:22:53 UTC 2007

Jason Johnson wrote:
> The misunderstanding here is that it is the latest version of the
> *configured* package.  So if someone releases a new version of a
> dependency you have, you have to explicitly make a pointer to the new
> version.  If you don't, the Universe wont load it because it doesn't
> know about it.

I don't understand this. What does "configured package" mean? The way I
understand it, it goes like this:
* You post a couple of versions of the Graphics package into the 3.10
universe.
* I post a couple of versions of the Balloon package into the 3.10
universe. The Balloon package depends on Graphics, but since I use the
Graphics package there is a good chance that I've tested it so it should
be okay.
* Later, you post a new version of the Graphics package. Since you don't
depend on the Balloon package there is absolutely no guarantee that
you've ever tested it together (and how could you - every second package
will depend on Graphics).

The way I read the code, my Balloon package will *automatically* pick up
the latest version of the Graphics package, without any further explicit
intervention.

If I'm mistaken, please correct me.

Cheers,
   - Andreas