Mantis Experiment a Failure? Are we ready yet to move on? (was Re: [BUGFIX] SqueakMap is broken in 3.10)

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Mon Nov 5 21:46:34 UTC 2007

I'll just go ahead and preface this with my own claims of 'tiredness' or
at least frustration.

First the initial report was sent to the mailing list with something
resembling the old scheme of bug/fix reporting (although not quite
matching) rather than being posted to http://bugs.squeak.org/ .  I
sighed deeply but decided to simply ignore it.

Matthew kindly tried to move things in that direction, but with little
apparent success.

Now I notice that you (Goran) don't once mention below the option of
adding a report on Mantis under the SqueakMap category.

It has now been three years since we started with Mantis and deprecated
the old report to list method.  And yet new reports still occasionally
appear on the list.

Yes, it's true that this is still the functionality that appears in the
image.  I'll accept that as the primary reason new reports continue to
appear on the list.

All I can say is "Is anyone itching enough yet to actually build a
system we will use?"  I think it's pretty clear by now that Mantis does
not represent such a system.  I'll be the first to admit that Mantis
doesn't cause me to want to scratch very much and so I have no
confidence that I can define a system that will be accepted.

Too be more than a little blunt, it's time for all of us to put up or
shut up.  A few of us have complained about Mantis in the past.  I'm not
going to name names but I think it's time for those who don't feel like
Mantis is a workable solution to start seriously thinking about the
shape of a significantly more appropriate solution.

Ken