EndOfStream unused

nicolas cellier ncellier at ifrance.com
Wed Nov 7 00:53:47 UTC 2007

Wrong.
VW does support it, and concerning efficiency, they are not that crazy.

True, there is a stack scan, but ONLY ONCE at the end of the stream.
If the stream is long enough, it will save A LOT of atEnd tests.
This is called optimistic programming.
Imagine that I ask you at each step "Are we arrived?"; you would not
bear a very long walk, would you? That's what the atEnd test is doing.

In following mail and at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6755 I
already noticed possible exception handling problem that caused Marcus
to retract this change. This is because EndOfStream were declared an
Error instead of a Notification.

And testing next == nil is a ugly hack i reject because i have some
collections with some nil.

I want for example to use
	aCollection lazily
		collect: [:e | e color];
		select: [:e | e notNil]
using LazyStreams iterating only once.
Absence of EndOfStream notification is just spoiling the game.
But nevermind, I will just publish on VW public store where I will find
crazy guys interested.

Nicolas