EndOfStream unused

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Nov 7 05:00:11 UTC 2007

On 6-Nov-07, at 8:46 PM, nicolas cellier wrote:

> And Exception is more general. It can be handled in various ways.
I won't argue with that but the practical problem I seem to keep
running into with exception handling is simply that nobody does it
very well.  I don't mean the actual mechanism of raising and catching
exceptions either - after all I did the VM and a fair bit of the image
work for exception handling in several Smalltalk systems, so obviously
that was Simply Magnificent :-)
No, the bit that bothers me is how poorly exceptions get used.  I've
seen cases where every possible exception was being caught and ignored
'to avoid presenting users with notifiers'.  I've seen people use them
to pass a value up to some other bit of code.  I've seen people do all
sorts of obscene things. Yuck.

Surely, somewhere there must be some documentation that explains how
to do it well? I'd love to be able to point culprits at a useful
learning example.

tim
Did you hear about Christopher Robin Hood? He stole from the rich to
give to the Pooh