Smalltalk and Java

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Fri Nov 9 17:51:34 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 18:37 +0100, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz wrote:
> why I would like to have Smalltalk over Java? I can't understand it.

Cell phones and embedded devices of that kind are very restricted.
To bring your own piece of software on the phone you would have to
code it native. After having coded your native program you must
install it on the phone. This is not easy as cell phones aren't
open platforms.
On modern phones there is a second option. They bring a java enabled
layer with them. That means there is a vm available where you can
install software. Then you are able to run a java program in a
sandbox which restricts access to the devices like gsm for sms
sending etc. That means to have a smalltalk vm on top of java you
enable every cell phone to use your software written in smalltalk.
It would even be possible to send it via MMS it to a friend.

hope this helps,

Norbert