Smalltalk and Java

Cees de Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 13:27:17 UTC 2007

On Nov 10, 2007 12:13 AM, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Yes, I understand the same. And I wish it were different...

Why - because Microsoft is The Bad Guy and Sun is The Good Guy?

Personally, I'm happy to see this competition, especially in the light
of .NET actually having *two* viable full implementations, one of them
open source.

We have two power houses in a battle for who can produce the best
generic virtual machine. Dynamic languages are on the rise, I bet that
dynamic language support will be way way better in 1-2 years in the
JVM simply because the Jay guys can't sit still while the Dot guys are
extending the functionality of their platform. The major IDE out there
(I think), Eclipse, starts to look and feel more and more like a
Smalltalk environment, and in some respects even better (with all the
static type info, the RB on Eclipse rocks!).

I think we, the Dynamic OO Language Bunch, are doing quite well, actually ;)

But getting back on topic: I have seen a handful of Smalltalk-on-JVM
implementations, and they all sucked performance-wise. I wouldn't
spend a lot of time doing yet another attempt until JVM support got
better, and until that time if it is for phones, you're screwed, learn
Java, if it is for research, .NET might be the thing.

--
"Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a
universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. " -