Companies giving back? (was Re: ANSI Smalltalk)

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Wed Nov 14 07:08:08 UTC 2007

Hi folks!

Todd Blanchard <tblanchard at mac.com> wrote:
> Does it matter?  I don't think we bothered to implement the last ANSI
> standard fully. :-)
>
> On Nov 13, 2007, at 5:43 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:
>
> > who wants to sponsor me?
> > I'm sorry but I do not have 1200 USD to be able to participate.
> >
> > Stef

Of course I agree with Todd - I like Squeak to move forward on its own
legs and not be stuck in any standard process. We have already added
Traits for example. BUT... of course it is "nice" if there is an ANSI
package around or whatever - it may help in porting efforts - but I
would never make it a goal.

Finally, if we DO want to participate in this, why don't say
Cincom/GemStone/other-company-making-money-off-of-Seaside (just a good
example) stand up and say... hey, "you guys - the Squeak community - can
participate through us on this!" - or "we can put in some of that money
for you!".

Just an idea.

regards, Göran

PS. I don't generally think companies "owe" anything - this is open
source after all - but I just want to put a finger on the fact that the
Smalltalk vendors are increasingly depending on the Squeak (or larger
"open source Smalltalk" community) community. So they actually have lots
of goodwill and also immediate practical benefits to gain here.