ANSI Smalltalk

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Wed Nov 14 12:01:54 UTC 2007

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Ivan Tomek wrote:
> > Hmm, that's strange. If I understand it correctly, will Smalltalk be a
> > language of the rich?
>
> All standardized languages are languages of the companies that are
> willing to pay.  I know of basically no one on a language standards
> committee, who is paying the money out of their pockets.

I don't think companies pay for voting memberships of the R6RS
committee for Scheme.  Please correct me if I am wrong. (
http://www.r6rs.org/ratification/ )

If we expand the definition of standardized languages a bit, we
actually find some influential committees where companies only pay
expenses - they don't buy voting memberships.

TCP SMTP etc are not really languages, but companies do not pay for
voting rights at IETF, if I understand it correctly.

I can't think of another language that ratifies a new standard every
18 months. 5 to 10 years is more like the ones I follow.  I wonder why
Smalltalk will be different.