Companies giving back? (was Re: ANSI Smalltalk)

Sebastian Sastre ssastre at seaswork.com
Wed Nov 14 13:12:01 UTC 2007

Hey Göran!, all,

	I agree with Göran's position. Was well expressed, Squeak must take
care to keep moving forward with it's own legs. That should be a not
negotiable point for this comunity.

	Besides I'm also not sure about bounding Squeak to ANSI will add
real value for the Squeak experience. It can inject reliability at the cost
of an uncertain measure of extra inertia or resistance to grow. I'm not sure
about that being a good deal for Squeak due to lack of resources for that
priority.

	You also certainly got a point about comercial smalltalk vendors
taking direct benefits of Squeak. The most significative example is Seaside
being used in Visual Works and soon in Gemstone/S. They do have strategic
interest and responsibility on support at least that in Squeak. But this
fact is very good. We should ask/claim for some very reasonable support.
Without doubt this is an opportunity for us and them. And is not limited to
this ANSI comitee. Late binding technologies are gaining space at a solid
peace. Smalltalk has leader virtues in that regard so we have to show we
know that and use cleverly the support we can gain to keep inventing a best
future.

	cheers,

Sebastian Sastre