3.9.1 (was: Re: Preliminary new Yaxo version)

Adrian Lienhard adi at netstyle.ch
Thu Nov 15 10:19:33 UTC 2007

On Nov 15, 2007, at 10:32 , stephane ducasse wrote:

>> At netstyle.ch we are using 3.9 for many projects now and we will
>> not move to 3.10 soon. We're using some of the critical fixes, so
>> basically that means we already have our own 3.9.1 image...
>> I assume, quite some people are using 3.9 in production as well.
>> So, if somebody is interested we could join forces and release a
>> 3.9.x from time to time.
>
> I imagine a lot of reason not moving to 3.10 but can you let us
> know yours? :)

Well, in general, upgrading can be a major effort and you always have
the risk that stuff will break in unexpected ways. Obviously,
problems and the effort to fix them are potentially expensive and
customers may loose their confidence.

In particular, I haven't looked in detail what happened in 3.10, but
since 3.9 has proven to be a very good release (excluding the
recently addressed production problems, which have been around for a
long time), we will stick to for now. In summary, I trust in 3.9 more
than in 3.10 and I don't know a reason that would justify the
potential hassle to upgrade.

Adrian