[OT] RE: A Hero for One Laptop Per Child

SmallSqueak smallsqueak at rogers.com
Sun Nov 18 01:54:13 UTC 2007

>   As far as I know, it is not a job.  Making PSA usually means that it
> is done at no charge.

I don't know what to say.
To the best of my knowledge there are different kinds of jobs:

1/- Paid jobs (paid with salary, wages, commission...)
2/- Volunteer jobs (not materially compensated)
3/- Paying jobs (one has to pay to accomplish the job oneself)

Paid jobs as Smalltalk programming, consulting, sales, marketing...

Volunteer job is still a job. There is a job to be done for a public service
announcer(PSA?) or a volunteer global ambassador (GA). This begs the question,
how many volunteered for this GA job?

Now, for the paying job, those who care about ANSI Smalltalk and want to
actively shape it, they have to pay to accomplish that job themselves ;-)

There is a "paying job" that almost all of human being sooner or later will have
to pay to accomplish it oneself.

Here is an anecdote of an aspect of this job (please be warned of crude words
ahead, a lot of F words, viewer's discretion is advised and for adults only):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nn5jlrxcpkI

>   At the holiday season, people, even including talent agencies, feel
> to do some generous activity, such as helping OLPC.
>
>   The G1G1 program did change the landscape.  Some stuff Nicholas said
> last year don't apply to the situation now.
>
> http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/09/23/business/laptop24.php
>
> -- Yoshiki

Cheers,

PhiHo.