What would Squeak be like without non-local returns

Kjell Godo squeaklist at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 19:00:25 UTC 2007

Hi Andreas

I would like to learn about this Croquet futures business.
And in so doing I would like to try to document it better.
Is this possible?
Where can I look for information?
Are there any isolated tests that I could step through?
Is there anyone who would be willing to teach me edit me?
Where could I put the new documentation?
I think the best way to teach people how futures work inside would
be to construct a sequence of tests that progress from simple
to more complex and that can be run on a single machine.
By stepping through these tests and documenting the methods
that show up along the way the implementation details can be
shown.  By putting each of the common usages into a test
you can also show how futures should be used from a user's
point of view starting with simple usage and moving on to
complex usage.  Such tests would not need to be single
stepped if the only purpose was to learn usages.  If the
implementation was to be learned then stepping could be done.
I give an example of how such things could work in the picoLARC
project on sourceforge.net for Dolphin Smalltalk community
edition 6.  You make a sequence of tests that run one after the
other.  These tests document usage and implementation in an
active way that doesn't go out of date.

Most people hate to make documentation.  I do not.  I like it.

What do you think?
Where is the info I need?
How can I upload the documentation that I make?
How can I upload new test sequences and the extra
    method documentations I will put into the methods that
    that show up along the way?
Who will edit me?

-Kjell
picoVerse

by the way there are a lot of ambiguous terms below that
I would like to make more concrete in the documentation
I attempt to make.