64 bit vm and image for MacOSX 10.5.x Leopard?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Nov 27 19:34:49 UTC 2007

On Nov 27, 2007, at 3:44 AM, Peter William Lount wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the link to the page on 64 bit vms: http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/faq.html
> . It's is in need of updating. MacOSX 10.5.x Leopard needs to be
> added to the question: "For which hardware/OS combinations is there
> a 64-bit VM?".
>
> Now that the MacOSX 10.5.x 64 bit Leopard has been released more
> people will likely want to use a 64 bit squeak. This version of
> MacOSX is the first 64 bit OS that will go big time (ok there is
> vista too which this also applies to).
>
> How does the mac vm .app file get created? how does one create a 64
> bit version? Who builds the mac version?

If someone has funding, why this would happen sooner.

The unix VM is built from time to time by Ian Piumarta, the cocoa
version is unix like with nods to mac support

I build the mac carbon version from time to time, which is mac like
with nods to unix support.
This VM is based on the original code from Squeak Central out of Apple
in the 1994-96 timeframe,
however much of it has changed and the os-7.5.5.-9.x support was
dropped during the transition to MacIntel.

To transition to 64 bit, we need a pure cocoa version, all support
routines need to be check for 64 bit issues, and all the plugins
rebuilt, this is all outside of the issue
of having either the VM in 64bit mode and working with either a 32bit
or 64bit image.

David T Lewis has been looking at the plugins.

Ian and I have been lately talking about the Cocoa implementation.

Lastly I'm not sure a headless os-x VM will run in 64bit mode, I don't
know if anyone has attempted to compile it and confirmed all the
support routines specific to os-x darwin
are working as expected.

--
=
=