Squeaksource (in)stability

Michael Rueger michael at impara.de
Tue Oct 2 19:15:19 UTC 2007

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Our local Squeaksource installation has recently taken a turn to the
> worse, probably because we hit some magic number of packages or versions
> or so. While in the past we needed to restart SS about 2-3 times a week,
> it has recently gone up to needing a restart twice a day (we get emails
> whenever that happens so I'm not just imagining this).
>
> Help! This is completely unusable. If I hadn't added my little patch
> that recovers the versions involved in the lock up there would be open
> mutiny here by now. How can you run a Squeaksource installation with a
> *bit* of stability?

Welcome to the club.
I used the latest squeaksource version for sophieproject (lots and lots
of packages and versions) that also runs on the esug server (I think)
and added all your patches.
It seems to be really stable, so your patches seem to work their magic :-)

The only thing that makes problems is that it screws up the web
connection (see previous postings).

And we use image storage, which sucks big time as we already ran into
the problem that on a rare bug the image got saved with the debugger
open and caused problems. We don't have the resources right now to try
out the Magma backend Bert did a while ago.

Michael