Squeaksource (in)stability

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 19:27:28 UTC 2007

2007/10/2, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
> Hi -
>
> Our local Squeaksource installation has recently taken a turn to the
> worse, probably because we hit some magic number of packages or versions
> or so. While in the past we needed to restart SS about 2-3 times a week,
> it has recently gone up to needing a restart twice a day (we get emails
> whenever that happens so I'm not just imagining this).
>
> Help! This is completely unusable. If I hadn't added my little patch
> that recovers the versions involved in the lock up there would be open
> mutiny here by now. How can you run a Squeaksource installation with a
> *bit* of stability?

Hey, it's open source man! Either pay me a million dollars of fix it yourself.

If you want something reliable use professional software like Apache +
WebDAV or Gemstone.

*just kidding*

I don't want to point fingers but all the information we have so far
hints that the bug is not in SqueakSource but in Squeak itself or the
VM (Sockets, Delays, Semaphores, ....). If you have some evidence that
points to SqueakSource I'll be happy to look into it.

Cheers
Philippe