Dropping mp3 on 3.10 world - doesn't work like 3.9/3.8

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 22:34:37 UTC 2007

Brad Fuller wrote:
> I previously wrote:
>> Running on my Linux (gentoo) system, sq3.9-7067dev07.08.1 does not
>> accept *mp3*
>> drops to the World. The result is: nothing happens. How come?
>> On the standard 3.9-7067 system, dropping an *MP3* file on the World
>> results in
>> a player to play the *mp3* file.
>>
>> brad
>>
>> BTW: not all *MP3* files are accepted on the World as a dropped file.
>> Does
>> anyone know why? I haven't dug at all into it, so I'm assuming it has
>> to do
>> with the limitations of the *mp3* decoder. Anyone enlighten me?
>>

>> Hi brad in squeak 7137 (basic not dev) I’ve noticed
>> that dropping projects on to the window sometimes will
>> load the project and sometimes not. It seems very
>> related to where I drop things.
>>
>> So I don’t think the problem is specific to *MP3* files.
>> It seems to me a mantis report is in order.
>> Want to start one?
>>
>> Yours in curiosity and service, --Jerome Peace
>
> Ok, On XP, I seem to be able to drop MP3's on the 3.8 and 3.9 World just
> fine and a soundplayer appears and the file plays fine. But, not on 3.10
> squeak-dev (3.10beta #7145) - the result is the file contents in a
> system window; no soundplayer morph.
> Is this a symptom that others see? If so, I'll write it up on mantis.
Looks like no one has had time to confirm this.. or not many people with
MP3s to drop ;-)
 From Edgar's msg re: MoviePlayerMorph being removed to reduce 3.10
size, maybe this functionality has been removed as well. I looked for
this functionality in 3.9 but can't really find it. If someone could
just point me to some places to look, I'll do the looking.

thanks,
brad